Tuesday, December 21, 2010

48 hours of Hell

I know I said I was done posting because I was leaving...but my exit of England is simply too ridiculous to not document.  Before I go on, I want to go ahead and wish my friends well and I hope you all get back safely and in time for Christmas...big believer in Christmas miracles, you are all in my prayers.

OK!  So, Saturday morning:  10am.  Matt, Jessie and I load up all of our luggage into a cab and get to the bus station for a 2.5 hour bus ride to London.
11:30: Bus leaves.  I might add that at this point I'm 90% sure I have pneumonia, and a fever, and I really just wanted to be in bed and not move.
12:00: It starts snowing, traffic goes insane, bus starts going 2 mph.
16:00: We make it to London, Jess and I say goodbye to Matt, and we find a cab to take us to the hotel.  He doesn't want to drive to the hotel because he's a Douche Lord, so he takes us to a train station, where we have to buy 20pound train tickets for a 10 minute train ride that was delayed...and I may or may not have yelled at the woman, while I had no voice because she wouldn't give me my ticket and kept telling me to calm down...Jess thought it was hilarious.
After the train, we got lost in Heathrow for a couple of hours, I literally thought I was going to pass out.  I have never felt that run down in my life.  finally, we get to the outside of the airport to fetch a cab...and we have to wait in line...in the freezing cold...with my pneumonia stricken self...for 2 hours.  We finally get in the cab to take us .5 miles down the road to the hotel, and he charges us 11pounds...yeah that happened.
Finally we get to the hotel, and Jess finds out her flight is cancelled...I had to take a bath to try and loosen up my respiratory system and breathe...it worked pretty well.  After that, Jess was able to book another flight, we watched Bridget Jones and ate room service in bed, and it wasn't a horrible night.

Sunday:
5:00: I try to check in for my flight online and I can't, so I go down to the concierge desk to organize a cab to the airport.  The concierge tells me that the terminal I need is closed, they aren't letting people in, and all flights are canceled...which isn't true because on both Heathrow and Virgin-Atlantic websites my flight is still on, he refuses to believe me and suggests I extend my stay.  So I wait in a long line to get to the reception desk and he tells me that the hotel is booked, and so is everywhere near the airport. So basically, they were telling me that I couldn't stay there, and I couldn't go to the airport, and, mind you, I still had no voice, so they were about to throw my sick dying person out in the cold.
9:00: Jess and I finally got a cab to terminal 5 of Heathrow, we got separated, I had to take the tube to terminal 3 where they weren't letting people in...and I still had no voice.  I finally make it over to the Virgin-Atlantic check in desk and I find out that my flight is one of 2 leaving that day.  There isn't a time attached to it, but it will be leaving.  I literally almost cried...I'm not even kidding.  So I walk around, drink my body weight in Vitamin Water, until I can check in.
13:00: I finally get to check in for my flight and proceed to the gate!  Happiness all around
15:00: the flight takes off and I'm on my way back to America!!!
19:00: flight lands in Washington....now I have to wait in yet another line to try and get on a flight to North Carolina.  I just want to say, that the airport workers in America are so much more helpful!  I had no trouble, the guy was super nice to me, he didn't charge me for my bags, and he even changed the destination of my flight!
23:00: I'm home! It was literally probably the worst 48 hours of my life, but I can't let myself complain because I know that my friends have it so much worse.  Best of luck to you all!  and Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment