Thursday, October 21, 2010

"You sound like your from Lon-don!"

I FINALLY made it to London!  and yes, I did talk like Russell Brand in Forgetting Sarah Marshall all weekend...at least in my head.  First things first, I always knew London was HUGE.  But I had absolutely no idea exactly how big.  Seriously.  We took a 45 minute train from the middle of london to where we were staying, and were still technically in London.  Each of our friends were also in London.  But staying an extra 30 minutes in each direction.  So let's just agree on the fact that getting around town was a mission.
  Friday night we walked around Piccadilly Circus and made it out to Soho.  This man on the street said if we paid 5quid to get in his club we got a free shot.  Well, it turns out we had to pay 5quid, then buy an 8pound drink to get the free shot.  Tam took one for the team and told him she would sue him for false advertising (yes, we were all tired and grouchy).  So after my girls got their shots we were kind of over that club...because it was rather creepy...good songs though.  Tam and I decided to call it a night and go back to her friend Rachels, who was generous enough to let us stay with her!  Also, I have to note that living with South African's give you a new appreciation for tea.  I actually had a dream that it was imperative that I find rooibos tea and a tea pot...but that's a different story.
  Saturday morning Rachel made us breakfast (because she's awesome) and I was introduced to Bavril...just google it, I can't even begin to explain it.  It's...different.  Not bad, not good, but different.  After that we made our way into town to be extreme tourists.  First, by eating a pub.  Then, getting tea (which isn't that touristy, but I'm telling you rooibos makes my life), and then seeing the sights.  First stop on the journey was Buckingham Palace.  The Queen was there that day, so the flag was flying, and I wanted to find her and see if she would be so kind as to introduce me to one of her grandsons...no such luck.  One day.  One day I will live there, just wait.  After that, we walked around the Green Park for a while.  The sun finally came out and it was nothing short of stunning.  Also in the park there were about a million (yes, I'm exaggerating) lawn chairs all painted differently...I really wish I had taken a picture, but I'm afraid a picture wouldn't have done it justice.
  After spending a while in the park we (Tam, Jessie, Mike, and I) met up with London native Alfie who showed us around better than we could do ourselves.  When we got to Westminster Abbey, I may or may not have cried a little because it was quite glorious.  I cannot even begin to describe how incredible it is.  The intricacies of the architecture blew my mind...everyone should see it at least once.  Especially on a sunny day.
  After Westminster Abbey, we saw Big Ben/Parliament which were also amazing.  Jessie reeeeeaaaalllly wanted to see Big Ben, so I'm so glad she got to do it!  I personally find it amazing that people could build things that look that great without the technology that they have today, but that's just me.  After Big Ben, we crossed the Thames, saw the London Eye, walked through Trafalgar Square, and to my personal highlight of the weekend. WICKED.
  This was so great it gets its own paragraph.  I would try to describe Wicked in one word but I can't.  Let's just say that it was probably the best thing that will ever happen to me, my life is forever changed...and I cried.  A lot.  I'm just saying when Elphaba reaches the crescendo in Defying Gravity...mind blowing.  Then again at the end when Elphaba and Glinda are singing For Good.  Changed my life...I can't really think of anything else to say on that...but my face is saying it all.
  After Wicked, Tam and I went to a pub filled with nothing but South Africans...and they are quite a friendly people.  Let's just leave it at that.
  Sunday morning, one of Rachel's friends made us probably the best omelette I've ever had...so thanks to him on that.  Then we commenced to shopping.  If you ever make it to London, shop at Camden Markets.  I love being able to shop places with no definite price...I'm quite good at haggling.  Just FYI.
  After shopping came dinner in China Town...which was amazing.  Then we had tea at another of Tam's friends apartments.  Okay, so his apartment looks through the London Eye directly at Big Ben...can we say unfair?
  Finally, and unfortunately, it was time to go home.  We all made it home safe and sound after a fantastic weekend.
  Ok, so I'm combining posts because this next story isn't long enough for a whole post.  One of my good friends, let's call her Friend A, celebrated a birthday a few days ago!  Go her!  Anyway, I sit in the hall late at night to study or text so I don't disturb my roommate, and as I was doing this, I hear her screaming bloody murder.  So I look up from where I'm sitting and see her running down the hall screaming at the to of her lungs in leggings and a bra.  For a second, I'm quite stunned, then I realize I should probably go help her back to bed.  When I make it to the top of the stairs I find two of our other friends standing there just letting her go.  Apparently, she drank some jungle juice (or something) and was, in effect, super effing drunk.  So, she keeps yelling, and slamming her door for about 20 minutes, then one of the freshman boys who live downstairs made the mistake of telling her to "bugger off".  Well, her response was something to the effect of "Screwwww You.  You are a Freshman!  You have no life and no future in whatever it is that your doinggg!" At the time it was ridiculously hilarious.  A friend and I finally got a shirt on her...which she took off 2 minutes later.  Then ran downstairs looking for Matty...still in a bra and leggings.  Long story short, another friend finally got her to bed where they had "Girls' night 2010!" which basically meant she passed out.  But don't worry, she's fine now!
  And such is my life in Leicester.

1 comment:

  1. You're seriously having the greatest adventure ever!! Live it up!

    ReplyDelete